Secrets of Matting Maintenance
You’ve invested in the longevity of your facility by purchasing a high-quality, commercial floor mat—congratulations! Whether or not you’ve chosen to personalize the matting with your brand or logo, it’s time to ensure it maintains the longest life possible, so you reap all the rewards of your floor matting investment. Daily cleaning and maintenance procedures are crucial to ensuring your matting remains in excellent condition and will provide you cost savings in the long run.
Wow Your Guests
The first impression of a facility’s premises plays a significant role in shaping its image and brand perception. Clean and well-maintained floor mats create a positive impression on customers, clients, and visitors. Plus, large floor mats protect your flooring from damage, especially in high-traffic areas or places prone to spills. Proper maintenance of mats prevents dirt and debris from scratching or staining the floor, and serves as a barrier, trapping dirt, dust, and debris brought in by shoes.
Following these procedures will also dramatically decrease the chances of the matting developing defects or hazards that may cause slips, trips, or falls, or premature wear and tear on the matting itself.
Today, we’re unveiling our secrets to ensure long-lasting, high-performing life for your floor matting.
1. Vacuum Daily: The First Line of Defense
The foundation of any pristine floor is proper maintenance, and vacuuming plays a crucial role. Here’s what you need to do:
- Use a quality commercial vacuum equipped with two motors and an aggressive agitator brush to remove the day’s dirt and grime effectively.
- Opt for a vacuum certified by the Carpet and Rug Institute Green Label Testing Program, ensuring it meets industry standards for efficient cleaning.
- If the matting becomes super saturated from rain or snow, employ a wet/dry vacuum to remove the water, then use a fan to speed up the drying process.
2. Spot Clean Daily: Tackle Spills with Urgency
Accidents happen, especially in bustling environments. The key to preserving your floor’s appearance is swift and efficient spot cleaning. Spot clean as needed with the appropriate cleaner. Your matting is solution-dyed, so even aggressive cleaning will not harm the yarns or their color.
3. Inspect Daily: Keep a Watchful Eye
To ensure your matting remains impeccable, incorporate it into your daily inspection routine. Here’s how:
- Include the floor matting in your regular inspection of your cleaning crew’s performance. This step will help address any potential issues promptly.
- For excessively dirty and stained matting, consider using an industrial extractor. Here’s how to do it right:
- Fill the extractor’s water tank with the warmest water available, around 220° F for optimal results.
- Add a high-quality neutralizing rinse or use just hot water and white vinegar. Refrain from using detergents as they will leave a sticky residue on the matting.
- Thoroughly extract and dislodge embedded dirt or debris until the dirty water tank is clear.
- Wipe the edging of the mat with a damp, clean cloth.
- After extraction cleaning, dry the matting with a good floor-drying fan. For stubborn residue, repeat the process until the mat is spotless.
- Don’t forget to flip the mat over and mop the surrounding floor and back of the mat with warm water and vinegar to remove fine dust, which will allow the mat’s pink backing to better grip the floor.
For the Toughest Cases: Call in the Experts
Sometimes heavily soiled areas may require the expertise of a reputable restoration contractor. However, this is not part of daily cleaning tasks. If you find yourself in such a situation, opt for a contractor with a truck-mount system as they tend to heat water at higher temperatures and are more aggressive in their cleaning approach.
Your floor matting was made to withstand the toughest conditions while providing a high-quality visual accent for your facility. These daily steps will rescue your floor matting from harm and destruction and allow it to do its job at peak performance. Unleash the hero within you and keep your floors pristine.